Lyon and its industries share a history and a future of (re)invention
All across the Lyon region, industry has established itself as major sector of the economy, shaped by four centuries of technical challenges and progress. This highly diversified industrial base is reflected in the many specialisations of local firms, in silk, chemicals, the environment, transport, mobility, energy and pharma-biotech, to name a few.
Lyon’s industry in numbers
- 1st industrial agglomeration in France
- 77,860 jobs in 7,610 industrial establishments, i.e. 13% of all local employment (sources: Urssaf 31/12/2021 and Insee-REE 31/12/2019)
- 900 industrial companies created in 2021, i.e. 3% of all companies created (source: Insee-REE 31/12/2021)
- 1,760 hectares of protected productive spaces in the Land Use and Housing Plan (PLU-H) out of a total of 6,880 hectares of activity areas (source: Land Use and Housing Plan of Métropole de Lyon)
- 383,000 squares metres placed for productive activity in 2021, an increase of 11% over the year
- 9 large industrial areas
- 2,900 industrial sites
- 4 large industrial sites awarded the label "Showcase of French Fab" by the Alliance Industrie du Futur: Air Liquide, Framatome, Gravotech, SNCF.
These companies chose Lyon and its region
With their advanced know-how and technologies, the Lyon area’s industrial companies benefit from a dense network of major industrial corporations, SMEs and innovative start-ups.
- Renault Trucks
- Saint Gobain
- Schneider Electric
The future of industry is happening in Lyon right now
Tomorrow’s industry brings a host of new challenges that we are committed to meeting alongside you. More local and cleaner, the future industry we are building together is based on 4 pillars.
Welcoming industrial activities to the Lyon metropolitan area.
- Helping you in industrial setup or development projects in the region in order to boost its autonomy and resilience in the event of crises and failures in the supply chain.
- Promote a new relationship with industry: accessible and reassured.
- The Local Town Planning and Residential Scheme (PLU-H)
- Reclassification of industrial zones
- Purchasing of industrial land
Transforming or speeding up the transformation of industry to make it cleaner, more resilient and safer for everyone.
- Supporting all types of innovations to foster sustainable growth.
- The high-impact industrial seed fund
- The Lyon Éco-Énergie+ program
- The guide to “Programs to support the environmental transition at industrial firms
Reconnecting industry with local inhabitants by showing it is changing and everything it can bring.
- Promoting its professions to stimulate local job creation.
- ILYSE, the foundation for industrial mediation
- The industrial observatory
- A full slate of dedicated events
Cooperation between industrial players and local communities.
- Leveraging collectives and regional cooperative programs to give tomorrow’s industry the strength it needs.
Lyon – Saint-Étienne is a recognised “Land of innovation” thanks to its project for integrating and (re)connecting industry to the local territory and its people. We are developing a strategy for partnered actions to drive a renewal of industry in the Lyon Saint-Étienne area and to support the emergence of a more productive, safer and inclusive industry.
The entire territory is federated to promote the concept of French Fab, the banner of Made in France industry.
A diverse range of services for industry
The Lyon metropolitan area welcomes your firm and offers a full range of services tailored to industrial companies: equipment, roadways, transportation, housing, local services (schools, daycare, shops, etc.) and more.
- Meet the needs of industrial firms and their employees:
- encourage active mobility solutions
- connect industrial and urban activities
- minimize negative side effects for the region.
- Stop the trend in industrial sprawl, which leads to denaturing of the landscape.
- Balance the location of industrial zones throughout the entire region.
Constantly renewed industrial zones
Between now and 2026, Lyon Metropole is set to invest nearly €12 million on its industrial zones reclassifying their public areas to adapt them to the needs and challenges of today’s companies and employees:
- renewal of major roadways
- planting of greenery
- consistent signage
- adapted public transport service
- the arrival of new services, and more.
Main industrial zones
- La Mouche in Irigny, Pierre-Bénite and Saint-Genis-Laval
- La Rize in Vaulx-en-Velin
- La Soie in Décines-Charpieu and Vaulx-en-Velin
- Lyon Nord Val de Saône in Genay and Neuville-sur-Saône
- Lyon Sud-Est across Corbas, Mions, Saint-Priest and Vénissieux
- Lyon Chemical Valley across Feyzin, Irigny, Pierre-Bénite, Saint-Fons and Solaize
- Industrial zone of Meyzieu-Jonage
- Mi-Plaine across Chassieu, Saint-Priest and Genas
- Perica in Caluire-et-Cuire and Rillieux-la-Pape
Lyon Chemical Valley
- France’s #1 area for research and development in the chemicals sector.
- A dynamic hub where innovation is driven by an exceptional ecosystem of companies involved in chemicals, environmental technologies, advanced materials and energy solutions.
Lyon Parilly Factories - The USIN site
A showcase for Lyon’s industrial excellence and know-how, this area that spans the towns of Vénissieux and Saint-Priest and Lyon’s 8th district is today home to more than 10,000 industrial jobs in an urban setting.
At Lyon Parilly Factories, Lyon Metropole (a group composed of SERL, Banque des territoires and Caisse d’Épargne Rhône-Alpes) is supporting the development of the emblematic site for urban industry: USIN Lyon Parilly.
- On a nearly 11-hectare site, it now offers 30,000 sq. m. of existing industrial premises that are home to several companies, and an additional 30,000 sq. m. will open in 2025. Ultimately, nearly 1,000 industrial jobs will be based at the site.
- The site is also home to the La Ruche Industrielle association, which supports local industrial firms in their transformation to build sustainable, innovative industry for the future!
Villeurbanne - Bel Air Camp
- Bel Air Industrie offers 3,000 sq. m. of closed, covered workshops (a workshop co-working space) that are home to new innovative industrial firms.
- To carry out their industrial development, these entrepreneurs can call upon a dynamic community and services provided by Tikam and Kick Maker, members of the Les Soudés network.
At your service
If you are an industry professional, contact our specialised teams who will facilitate the development of your projects in the Lyon region.
- The Only magazine, issue no.14 - January to June 2021: USIN: who said industry no longer had a place in the city? (p.40)
- The Only magazine, issue no.13 - January to June 2020: €200 million in investment for industry / Innovation territories (p.47)
- The Only magazine, issue no.11 - January to June 2019: Special report on Industry, driving transformations (p.38)
Your dedicated specialists
Lead Advisor - Industry
Our latest news
09 Jun 2022
09 Mar 2022
02 Feb 2022
25 Jan 2022