Lyon and its industries share a history and a future of (re)invention
All across the Lyon region, industry has established itself as major sector of the economy, shaped by four centuries of technical challenges and progress. This highly diversified industrial base is reflected in the many specialisations of local firms, in silk, chemicals, the environment, transport, mobility, energy and pharma-biotech, to name a few.
Lyon’s industry in numbers
- 75,550 jobs in 6,790 industrial establishments,
- i.e. 13% of all local employment (sources: Acoss-Urssaf (31/12/2018) and Insee-REE (31/12/2017))
- 1,200 industrial jobs created in 2018,
- representing 10% of all industrial jobs created in France
- 5,300 hectares of industrial zones,
- i.e. 80% of all business zones (source: Land Use and Housing Plan of Métropole de Lyon)
- 4 large industrial sites awarded the label "Showcase of French Fab" by the Alliance Industrie du Futur: Air Liquide, Framatome, Gravotech, SNCF.
These companies chose Lyon and its region
With their advanced know-how and technologies, the Lyon area’s industrial companies benefit from a dense network of major industrial corporations, SMEs and innovative start-ups.
- Renault Trucks
- Saint Gobain
- Schneider Electric
The industry of the future is being built in Lyon
To build the industry of tomorrow requires meeting the challenges of today. We’re here to help you achieve your goals. Closer and cleaner, the industry of the future we build together means finding solutions to your needs, in terms of:
Lyon – Saint-Étienne is a recognised “Land of innovation” thanks to its project for integrating and (re)connecting industry to the local territory and its people. We are developing a strategy for partnered actions to drive a renewal of industry in the Lyon Saint-Étienne area and to support the emergence of a more productive, safer and inclusive industry.
The entire territory is federated to promote the concept of French Fab, the banner of Made in France industry.
Zones specialised in industrial activities
In the Lyon region, industry contributes to the local area across more than 2,900 sites. Two areas are particularly emblematic of the industry of the future.
The largest zones are:
- La Mouche in Irigny, Pierre-Bénite and Saint-Genis-Laval
- La Rize in Vaulx-en-Velin
- La Soie in Décines-Charpieu and Vaulx-en-Velin
- Lyon Nord Val de Saône in Genay and Neuville-sur-Saône
- Lyon Sud-Est across Corbas, Mions, Saint-Priest and Vénissieux
- Lyon Chemical Valley across Feyzin, Irigny, Pierre-Bénite, Saint-Fons and Solaize
- Industrial zone of Meyzieu-Jonage
- Mi-Plaine across Chassieu, Saint-Priest and Genas
- Perica in Caluire-et-Cuire and Rillieux-la-Pape
Lyon Parilly Factories
A showcase for Lyon’s industrial excellence and know-how, this zone counts among the line-up of companies the Usin site which hosts:
- Connected factories serving inspired industrialists, and
- The association La Ruche Industrielle. The association supports industrial companies in their transformation towards a sustainable, innovative industry of the future.
At your service
If you are an industry professional, contact our specialised teams who will facilitate the development of your projects in the Lyon region.