Located at the intersection of major trade routes, and recognised for its dynamic economy, Greater Lyon is well placed for shipping and warehousing goods. France’s second ranking region in terms of logistics jobs and warehousing capacity, Lyon puts special emphasis to developing multimodal transport.
Transport and logistics in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes: key figures
- 2nd region for people hired in this sector
- 163,263 workers in transport and warehousing in the Auvergne–Rhône-Alpes region, i.e. 12% of the national total in these sectors (source: Acoss-Urssaf as of 31-12-2017)
- 23,290 salaried jobs in the Lyon metro area alone – a 6% rise in 10 years (source: Acoss-Urssaf as of 31-12-2017)
- 200 hectares available for airport, rail and road transporters (source: Aderly)
- 4.5 million sq. m of logistics facilities in the Lyon Urban Region (RUL) (source: Aderly)
- By road: 235.7 million tonnes of goods shipped in 2017
- Rail and river/sea: 2.6 million tonnes handled by public ports in 2017
(sources: General Directorate of Civil Aviation, DREAL, SITRAM, SNCF, ports des CCI d’Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes and Édouard-Herriot port in Lyon, VNF)
A strategic, well-structured sector
Fuelled by the e-commerce boom, the logistics and transport sector is an essential competitiveness lever for businesses and territories. Boasting a strategic location and good road, river, rail and air infrastructure, Greater Lyon has placed this sector in the front rank of its economy. The sector also offers extensive opportunities for firms offering services and tech solutions.
Specialized networks in the transport sector
Players in the logistics and transport sectors can count on the networks the region’s transport innovation hubs and specialized clusters are part of.
- CARA European Cluster for mobility solutions
- Innovation hub specializing in passenger and freight transport (industrial vehicles, automobiles, cable transport, waterway transport, active & sustainable mobility and railways)
- The Active & Sustainable Mobility Cluster (MAD)
- A cluster that dynamizes and federates the active & sustainable mobility sector.
Cutting-edge facilities to innovate and experiment
Training talents in the logistics and transport sector
In Lyon, several independent training centres run courses specific to the logistics and transport sector. These are aimed equally at students and professionals – with topics such as transporting hazardous materials. Lastly, each year, the metropolitan area also hosts big trade fairs around logistics and transport: Europack, Industrie Lyon and Solutrans.
Logistics and transport industry events
Finally, every year the Lyon metropolitan area plays host to major trade shows in the logistics and transport sectors:
Top spots for logistics jobs in the Lyon metropolitan area
Greater Lyon is conducive to developing logistics activities. It hosts the second largest stock of logistics facilities in France – a very attractive proposition given the area’s high population and consumption, and its dense transport infrastructure. The top spots are in various territories:
- Nord-Isère: the biggest terrestrial logistics platform in France, and among the biggest in Europe, with 2.3 million sq. m of warehousing, 131 sites, 10,000 jobs, and a network of expertise in factory logistics and its roles: the Logistics Intelligence Hub (PIL);
- Plaine de l’Ain Industrial Park. With about 520,000 sq. m of warehousing, logistics is one of four big business sectors in this territory.
- The Lyon metropolitan area: a region for urban logistics (local logistics, first and last mile, optimization of chains and circuits), environmentally friendly transport and green transport.
- City of Lyon and Villeurbanne, with 6,000 jobs, i.e. 28% of the metropolitan area’s logistics jobs, due chiefly to big sites run by La Poste (eight sites with 100-plus staff) and SNCF Réseau (nine sites).
These companies have chosen Greater Lyon
- Geodis Calberson
- ID Logistcs
- Rhenus Logistics
- Yusen Logistics
- FedEx Express FR
- Iveco France
- JTEKT Europe
- Renault Trucks
At your service
Logistics and transport professionals, our staff is available to help you with your positive-impact projects in the Lyon area
Your dedicated specialists
Investment Advisor - Industry