With more than 164,000 companies and more than 17,000 jobs created per year, Lyon and its region are both the second largest economic powerhouse in France and a major decision-making centre.
Companies and jobs
With 31,250 companies created in 2021, the economic vitality of the Lyon metropolitan area makes it the perfect place for entrepreneurship.
Source: Insee-REE 2021
- 176,300 public and private entities
6,000 SMEs and 215 medium-sized businesses
Source: Insee-REE 31/12/2021
- 806,465 jobs
Source: Insee-Estel 2018
606,200 of which are salaried and in the private sector
Source: Acoss-Urssaf 31/12/2021
- 17,650 jobs created in the private sector
up 3% in one year; versus 12,620 in Toulouse - 15,110 in Bordeaux and 6,750 in Aix-Marseille
Source: Acoss-Urssaf as at 31/12/2021
- 6.9% unemployment rate in the Lyon metropolitan area
In France: 7.3%
Source: Insee, Q3 2022
- 34 million euros from the European Social Fund for employment and insertion in the Lyon metropolitan area over the period 2022-2027
- 65 companies relocated by Aderly in the Lyon region area in 2022,
1,452 jobs created over 3 years,
22 foreign projects.
Source: The Lyon Region Area Economic Development Agency (Aderly) 2022
- 558 companies still active out of the 895 set up in the region with Aderly’s support over the period 2010-2020
and 12,121 directs jobs.
Source: Socio-economic footprint modelised by Utopies and the Lyon Region Area Economic Development Agency (Aderly) 2022
Lyon remains the 1st most attractive French metropolis.
Source: Arthur Loyd Barometer 2022
Here are a few figures that, on their own, illustrate the attractiveness and the vitality of the Lyon region:
- The construction of 7,870 houses was started between 2018 and 2020
- 5,280 restaurants, including 19 Michelin-starred
Source: Insee-REE 31/12/2021 and Michelin Guide 2023
- 16,500 businesses and services
€8 billion in annual turnover in 2022
Source: 11th survey by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Lyon 2022
- 236 weekly markets in the Lyon metropolitan area
- 253 hotels and tourism residences
18 000 rooms
Source: Lyon Métropole 2022
- 2nd French city for hosting congresses
Source: ICCA Ranking 2022
- 30,000 associations
- 88 libraries or media libraries
- 73 conservatories and schools dof music, dance, theatre and circus supported by Lyon Métropole
- 40 performance halls
- 11 parks
The inhabitants of Lyon are the most ardent ambassadors of their city: 90.9% of the people questioned recommend their city to those wishing to move.
Source: survey by Hellowork and Hays 2021
Your dedicated specialists
Policy Officer, Strategy and Partnerships