With more than 140,400 companies established and more than 16,000 jobs created per year, Lyon and its region are both the second largest economic powerhouse in France and a major decision-making centre.
Companies and jobs
With 28,920 companies created in 2020, the economic vitality of the Lyon metropolitan area makes it the perfect place for entrepreneurship.
Source: Insee-REE 2020
- 150,700 public and private entities
5,660 SMEs and 190 medium-sized businesses
Source: Insee-REE 31/12/2018
- 806,465 jobs
Source: Insee-Estel 2018
598,920 of which are salaried and in the private sector
Source: Acoss-Urssaf 31/12/2020
- 11,720 jobs created in the private sector
up 2% in one year
Source: Acoss-Urssaf as at 31/12/2019
- 7.9% unemployment rate in the Lyon metropolitan area
In France: 8.1%
Source: Insee, Q3 2021
- 6.2 million euros from the European Social Fund for employment and insertion in the Lyon metropolitan area
- The second most attractive metropolitan area in France after Paris for international investors
Source: EY Attractiveness Survey France 2019
- 62 companies relocated by Aderly in the Lyon region area in 2021,
1,132 jobs created over 3 years,
26 foreign projects.
Source: The Lyon Region Area Economic Development Agency (Aderly) 2021
- 569 companies still active out of the 884 set up in the region with Aderly’s support over the period 2008-2019
and 10,386 directs jobs.
Source: Socio-economic footprint modelised by Utopies and the Lyon Region Area Economic Development Agency (Aderly) 2021
Lyon remains the 1st most attractive and dynamic French metropolis.
Source: Arthur Loyd Barometer 2021
Here are a few figures that, on their own, illustrate the attractiveness and the vitality of the Lyon region:
- The construction of 11,540 houses was started between 2016 and 2018
- 5,097 restaurants, including 18 Michelin-starred
Source: Insee-REE 31-12-2017 and Michelin Guide 2020
- 16,500 businesses and services
- 150 weekly markets in the Lyon metropolitan area
- 266 hotels and tourism residences
18 270 rooms
Source: Lyon Métropole 2019
- 30,000 associations
- 88 libraries or media libraries
- 75 conservatories and schools dof music, dance, theatre and circus supported by Lyon Métropole
- 40 performance halls
- 11 parks
The inhabitants of Lyon are the most ardent ambassadors of their city: 81% of the people questioned recommend their city to those wishing to move.
Source: ranking Regionjob, Parisjob et Hays 2019
Your dedicated specialists
Policy Officer, Strategy and Partnerships