The cleantech sectors, driven by full innovation and growth ecosystems, are strategic for the Lyon metropolitan area. A region with a reputation for excellence, where professionals in the chemicals & materials, transport & mobility and energy transition sectors find the right conditions for sustainable growth.
An investment in the territory’s future
Green technologies aim to optimise the consumption of natural resources and to reduce the environmental impact of human activities. With an envelope of 54 million euros - the largest budget in France for environmental technologies - the Lyon metropolitan area offers entrepreneurs a favourable and innovative environment to develop their projects.
The cleantech sector in Greater Lyon: key figures
- 77,850 jobs, including:
- 48,940 in land transportation systems, 12,780 in energy and electrical equipment, 11,300 in chemicals and 4,840 in the environment (Acoss-Urssaf as of 31/12/2019)
- 8,580 organizations, including:
- 7 050 in land transportation systems, 710 in energy and electrical equipment, 590 in the environment and 230 in chemicals (Insee-REE as of 31/12/2018)
- 75 projects supported across the territory thanks to a strategy to boost the circular economy
These companies have chosen Greater Lyon
- Elkem Silicones
- Inevo Technologies
- Kem One
Customised support, backed by genuine expertise in the local area
Our local sustainable innovation and growth ecosystems offer ideal conditions for development at every step of your project, whatever your needs:
Upstream in the sector, our research centres, technical centres and academic institutions support the emergence of your ideas:
- National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS)
- National Institute of Applied Sciences (INSA) Lyon
- École Centrale Lyon, school of engineering
- University Claude Bernard Lyon 1
- École normale supérieure (ENS) Lyon, elite teacher-training school
- École nationale des travaux publics de l’État (ENTPE), State school of civil engineering
- Gustave Eiffel University
- French Institute of Petroleum and new energies (IFP)
- and more.
Innovation hubs and major clusters support you in your innovation, networking, business development and international development projects:
- Axelera, for the chemicals and environment sector
- Cara, for the transport and mobility systems sector
- Tenerrdis, for the energy transition and renewable energies sector
- Techtera, for the textiles and flexible materials sector
- Lumière Cluster, for the lighting and light design sector
- MAD Cluster, for active, sustainable transportation
Our innovation platforms and demonstrators facilitate technology transfers and the launch of your products and services:
- Axel’One, for innovative materials and processes
- Transpolis, for connected, driverless, mobility of the future
- Piseo, for lighting technologies
- Provademse, for environmental technologies (circular economy, environment, energy)
- SuperGrid Institute, for energy efficiency and massive integration of renewable energies in utility grids.
Highlights for ecotechnology professionals
The Lyon metropolitan area hosts major cleantech industry events. These highlights, including meetings, talks, workshops, conferences and demonstrations, fast-track your business opportunities and transformation projects!
- Global Industrie, the international industrial exhibition
- Pollutec, the international environmental and energy equipment, technologies and services exhibition
- Solutrans, the world industrial and urban vehicle trade show
- BePositive, the exhibition showcasing the energy transition in construction and local territories
This district hosts numerous experiments of innovative services, calling on new technologies and community involvement. Lyon Confluence won the European “Smart Cities and Communities” call for projects which aims to develop solutions integrating energy, transport and information and communication technologies through emblematic projects.
Location: 2nd district of Lyon
At your service
Our team – which includes professionals from the chemicals/materials, mobility and energy transition sectors - will assist you in your project to set up or grow locally.
Your dedicated specialists
Investment Advisor - environment and sustainable construction
Our latest news
09 Mar 2022
02 Feb 2022
17 Dec 2021