Cleantechs flourish in an ecosystem of innovation and growth that is a strategic sector for Greater Lyon. A region known for its excellence in the field, where specialists in chemicals and materials, transport and mobility, and energy transition find the ideal conditions for experimentation and competitive advantage.
An investment in the territory’s future
Green technologies aim to optimise the consumption of natural resources and to reduce the environmental impact of human activities. With an envelope of 54 million euros - the largest budget in France for environmental technologies - the Lyon metropolitan area offers entrepreneurs a favourable and innovative environment to develop their projects.
The cleantech sector in Greater Lyon: key figures
- 76,500 jobs, including 24,900 in transport and logistics and 4,900 in environmental technologies and services (Acoss-Urssaf, 31/12/2017)
- 6,100 establishments, including 2,950 in transports and logistics and 550 in environmental technologies and services (Insee-REE, 31/12/2016)
- 2,000 researchers
- 20.8 billion euros in sales (Lyon urban area)
- 214 billion euros in capital raised between 2010 and 2015 (study by Greenunivers 2015)
- Top European territory for smartgrids
- 75 projects supported across the territory thanks to a strategy to boost the circular economy
Video: Lyon, an industrial past, present and future
These companies have chosen Greater Lyon
- Elkem Silicones
- Inevo Technologies
- Kem One
Customised support, backed by genuine expertise in the local area
Our local ecosystem of innovation and growth offers the ideal conditions for experimentation and a competitive edge at every stage of your project, for all types of needs:
Upstream in the sector, our research centres, technical centres and academic institutions support the emergence of your ideas:
- National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS)
- National Institute of Applied Sciences (INSA) Lyon
- École Centrale Lyon, school of engineering
- University Claude Bernard Lyon 1
- École normale supérieure (ENS) Lyon, elite teacher-training school
- École nationale des travaux publics de l’État (ENTPE), State school of civil engineering
- Gustave Eiffel University
- French Institute of Petroleum and new energies (IFP)
- and more.
Major competitiveness clusters to support your innovative projects, connections with the business community and internationalisation:
Our innovation platforms and demonstrators facilitate technology transfers and the launch of your products and services:
- Axel’One, for innovative materials and processes
- Transpolis, for connected, driverless, mobility of the future
- Piseo, for lighting technologies
- Provademse, for environmental technologies (circular economy, environment, energy)
- Supergrid Institute, for energy efficiency and massive integration of renewable energies in utility grids.
This district hosts numerous experiments of innovative services, calling on new technologies and community involvement. Lyon Confluence won the European “Smart Cities and Communities” call for projects which aims to develop solutions integrating energy, transport and information and communication technologies through emblematic projects.
Location: 2nd district of Lyon
At your service
Our team – which includes professionals from the chemicals/materials, mobility and energy transition sectors - will assist you in your project to set up or grow locally.