As a French and worldwide leader in life sciences and health, the Lyon metropolitan area values and promotes a constant balance between human, animal and environmental health. It is home to key players in both the public and private sectors, and offers centres of excellence in innovation. It is a genuine driver of the local economy.
Research and innovation to promote a quality life in good health
In Lyon, the life sciences and healthcare sector is not limited to developing cutting-edge technologies for the benefit of healthcare professionals and patients. It also brings together innovative collaborative projects in the health, medical, social and prevention spheres.
In the Lyon area, the sector focuses on all issues related to maintaining a quality life in good health.
Our vision: a combined approach to care, health and quality of life.
The Lyon area is home to many renowned players in the field, from fundamental research to businesses, in a variety of spheres:
- immunology and infectiology, including vaccines and diagnostics
- cosmetic dermatology, namely tissue engineering and 3D bio-printing
- nutrition and health
- medical technologies, particularly in orthopaedics and medical textiles
- veterinary public health, with the world’s 1st hub in the field (Hub VPH).
Life sciences and Health in numbers
- 79,330 jobs
- 49,750 jobs in human health (source: Insee-Flores, 31/12/2020)
- 14,400 jobs in the biotech-pharma-medtech sector (source: Urssaf, 31/12/2021)
- 2,100 establishments with employees (source: Insee-Sirene, 01/2018)
- 1,600 clinical trials conducted every year by the Lyon civil hospices
These companies chose Lyon and its region
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Charles River
- CTI Biotech
- Enyo Pharma
- Erytech Pharma
- MSD Vaccins
- Sanofi Genzyme
- Sanofi Pasteur
A favourable environment for businesses in the sector
Birthplace of healthcare, medical and social organisations, research institutes and world-renowned pharmaceutical firms, Lyon and its region are at the forefront of developments in health and life sciences. The area is home to world leaders, specialised SMEs and innovative start-ups.
A full ecosystem
Collaborative by design, the local ecosystem covers the entire value chain, from fundamental research to the marketing of goods and services:
- an international bio-cluster led by Lyonbiopôle
- the 2nd largest teaching hospital complex in France: Lyon civil hospices (HCL)
- a major academic research hub: University of Lyon
- national and international regulatory agencies: French National Agency of Medicine and Health Products Safety (ANSM), Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (Anses), International Alliance for Biological Standardization (IABS),…
- numerous international organisations and facilities: Lyon office of the World Health Organisation, International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC-WHO), Inserm Jean Mérieux Bio-safety Level 4 Lab, etc.
Fields of excellence in research and care
The Lyon area boasts top-flight institutes, laboratories, and research and care centres in the fields of immunology & infectiology, oncology, neurosciences and nutrition.
- The International Center for Infectiology Research (CIRI)
- The Biosciences Research Organisation (SFR)
- The Bioaster technological research institute
- The FINOVI foundation
- The Lyon Civil Hospital (HCL) Infectious Agents Institute and the Croix-Rousse Hospital’s Infectious and Tropical Disease Unit
- A number of leading national research institutes in human and animal infectious diseases
- The Inserm Jean Mérieux Biosafety Level 4 Laboratory
- The Lyon Cancerology Research Centre (CRCL)
- The Léon Bérard Cancer Research Centre (CLB)
- The Lyon Civil Hospitals (HCL) Cancerology Institute
- The Lyon Haematology and Paediatric Oncology Institute (IHOPe)
- The LYriCAN integrated cancerology research site
- The Synergie Lyon Cancer Foundation
- The Carnot CALYM Institute
- Lysarc (a lymphoma clinical research organisation)
- The Lyon Neurocampus, home to the Lyon Neurosciences Research Centre (CRNL) and the Cognitive Science Institute
- The Stem Cell and Brain Institute
- The Epilepsy Institute and its Idée Foundation
- The Neurodis Foundation
- Pierre-Wertheimer Hospital (Europe’s premier neurological hospital)
- The Le Vinatier Hospital
- CERMEP, a multimodal, multidisciplinary in-vivo pre-clinical and clinical imaging platform
- The CarMeN cardiovascular, metabolism, diabetology and nutrition laboratory
- The Rhône-Alpes Human Nutrition Research Centre (CRNH)
- The European Centre for Nutrition and Health (CENS), which coordinates researchers and industrial firms in the food & beverage and pharmaceutical sectors to bring science-based solutions for health issues related to nutrition, etc.
A world-class competitiveness cluster federates the sector
The Lyonbiopôle innovation cluster federates and drives the health ecosystem in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region. Bringing together a community of over 200 players from the public and private sectors, it supports projects and companies in the health sphere.
Essential networking opportunities
Entrepreneurs in the sector, their financial, scientific, clinical and technical partners, gather regularly in Greater Lyon at the BioTuesdays event.
This informal networking event for professionals in the life sciences and health sector is held every other month and attracts an average of 150 professionals each time.
Would you like to meet your future partners and expand your network?
Two major sites for the health sector in the Lyon area
Two geographical areas bring together a host of public and private life sciences and health organisations in greater Lyon. These flagship sites offer optimal conditions for development and innovation.
The Lyon-Gerland Biodistrict, a breeding ground for biotechnological innovation and bio-industries. Major players (companies, laboratories, institutions) have premises here and can take advantage of high-level facilities such as the Inserm Jean Mérieux Bio-safety Level 4 Lab and the Biosciences federative research structure (SFR Biosciences).
Location: 7th district of Lyon
At your service
If you are in the health or life sciences business, our experts are here to help you develop your projects in the Lyon region.
Your dedicated specialists
Project Manager, Life Sciences - Health / Lyon-Gerland Biodistrict
Lead Advisor - one health
Our latest news
10 Jul 2023
25 May 2023
09 Mar 2022
02 Feb 2022