A benchmark in France and internationally in the health and life sciences sector, the Lyon metropolitan area promotes and supports businesses in this key field. The area is home to big names in the industry and offers top-class sites for innovative companies. It is a genuine driver of the local economy.
Research and innovation to promote healthy living
In Lyon, the health sector is not just about care and disease prevention. It also develops breakthrough scientific innovations and advanced technologies serving the interest of patients.
Within the life sciences and health sector, the Lyon region specialises in:
- vaccines, immunology, infectious diseases
- medical technologies, including micro and nanotechnologies
- dermocosmetology, especially tissue engineering and 3D bio-printing
- medical textiles
- veterinary public health, with the world-first centre created in this field (Hub VPH).
Health and biotech in numbers
- 72,500 jobs
- i.e. 12% of all local employment
- 57,800 jobs in human health
- 14,700 jobs in the biotech-pharma-medtech sector (source: Acoss-Urssaf, 31/12/2017)
- 2,100 establishments with employees (source: Insee-Sirene, 01/2018)
- 2nd largest teaching hospital complex in France
- 1,600 clinical trials conducted every year by the Lyon civil hospices
These companies and institutes chose Lyon and its region
- Bioaster, a technology research institute in microbiology
- International Center for Research in Infectious Diseases (CIRI)
- Cancer Research Center of Lyon (CRCL)
- Institute of Biology and Chemistry of Proteins (IBCP)
- Institute of Functional Genomics of Lyon (IGFL)
- NeuroMyoGene Institute (INMG)
- Neuroscience Research Center of Lyon (CRNL)
- European Centre for Nutrition and Health (CENS)
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Charles River
- CTI Biotech
- Enyo Pharma
- Erytech Pharma
- MSD Vaccins
- Sanofi Genzyme
- Sanofi Pasteur
A favourable environment for businesses in the sector
Birthplace of internationally renowned institutes and pharmaceutical labs, Lyon and its region are at the forefront of developments in health and life sciences. The area is home to world leaders, specialised SMEs and innovative start-ups.
The local ecosystem is highly collaborative and covers the entire value chain:
- a biocluster of international stature: Lyonbiopôle
- 2 teaching hospital complexes, including the Lyon civil hospices (HCL)
- a major academic research hub: University of Lyon
- business incubators and dedicated sites
- national and international regulatory agencies: French National Agency of Medicine and Health Products Safety (ANSM), Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (Anses), International Alliance for Biological Standardization (IABS),…
- numerous international organisations and facilities: Lyon office of the World Health Organisation, International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC-WHO), Inserm Jean Mérieux Bio-safety Level 4 Lab, etc.
A world-class competitiveness cluster federates the sector
The Lyonbiopôle cluster federates and coordinates the health ecosystem in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region. Bringing together a community of more than 200 public and private organisations, this cluster centralises the support mechanisms for health-oriented projects.
See the key players and research institutes in the life sciences and health sector on our interactive map.
Essential networking opportunities
Entrepreneurs in the sector, their financial, scientific, clinical and technical partners, gather regularly in Greater Lyon at the BioTuesdays event.
This informal networking event for professionals in the life sciences and health sector is held every other month and attracts an average of 150 professionals each time.
Would you like to meet your future partners and expand your network?
Two major sites for the health sector in the Lyon area
Two important sites are devoted to the health and biotechnology sector in Lyon. These flagship sites offer optimal conditions for development and innovation.
The Lyon-GerlandBiodistrict, home to biotech innovations. Major players (companies, laboratories, institutions) have premises here and can take advantage of high-level facilities such as the Inserm Jean Mérieux Bio-safety Level 4 Lab and the Lyon Institute of Functional Genomics.
Location: 7th district of Lyon
At your service
If you are in the health and biotech business, our experts are here to help you develop your projects in the Lyon region.
Your dedicated specialists
Project advisor - Life Sciences
Our latest news
09 Mar 2022
02 Feb 2022
25 Jan 2022