Choose to set up in the Lyon area and you’ll benefit from a highly developed transport system with optimal links to the main cities in France, Europe and beyond. This provision makes your future city a pacesetter for accessibility and mobility.
Access by road, river, rail and air
Did you know that you can take a return flight between Lyon and Europe’s leading cities in the same day?
By train, boat, plane, or car: to travel to Lyon, you have plenty of choice. We have two airports (Lyon-Saint Exupéry international airport and Lyon-Bron business airport), three TGV rail stations including two in the city centre, and six motorways optimally connected to the main transport route between northern and southern Europe. Not forgetting the river port at the city’s gateway, Lyon Édouard Herriot, which enjoys a privileged position at the intersection of European and global trade.
- Less than 2 hours from Europe’s leading capitals
- More than 130 destinations (national, European, intercontinental) accessible on a direct flight
- More than 11.74 million passengers in 2019 at Lyon-Saint Exupéry airport
- 70 services a day to/from Paris (1h50)
- A Eurostar service to London (< 5 hours)
- 51 million train journeys in 2017, with up to 150,000 passengers a day
Urban mobility: all types of transport on hand
- More than 120 bus and trolleybus lines
- 4 metro lines, serving 40 stations on 32.05 km of network
- 7 tramway lines
- 423 Vélo’v (self-service bicycle) stations
- Bike paths all over the metro area
- 1 million euros of EU funding to develop carpooling.
Lyon’s transport system lets you move easily around the metro area. Eco-friendly modes are highly developed and offer many options: metro, tramway, bus, boat, self-service bicycle, electric car… There’s something for everyone!
In 2018, Lyon was awarded the accolade of “Europe’s most accessible city” for people with reduced mobility, whatever their disability.